Amsterdam neighbor city Almere is a young growing city. Almere challenges everyone to contribute to its growth, with enriching initiatives. The Asian restaurant of Freek Schaefers – designed by Mirck Architecture – is a great success since 2009 and in combination with the increasing number of Chinese visitors in the Amsterdam area, Mirck Architecture and Freek Schaefers came up with the idea of constructing a new Chinatown in Almere.
The comprehensive programme of the new Chinatown – markets, shops, houses, hotel, schools, restaurants – can use its diversity to connect smoothly with the completely different surrounding quarters, spatially as well as programmatically.
The urban design proposes a unique spatial heart of the Chinatown structure. Comfortable small-scale spaces without cars. Halls, alleys, courtyards, passages, rooms, (market)squares, atria, etcetera. To get there, you can ride or walk many routes, that transform the existing city gradually to the unique heart of New Chinatown.
- Urban design: New Chinatown Almere
- Client: New Chinatown Almere bv io
- Address: Cinemadreef, Almere
- Floor area: 178.000 m2
- Urban design phase: 2011-2015
- Supervision phase: 2015-2018
- Design: Mirck Architecture, Amsterdam
- Team: Sander Mirck, Bram van den Heuvel, Cliff Lesmeister, Ule Koopmans
- Chinese partner: Li Xiaodong Atelier
- Landscape design: OKRA